Kim was 35 when she was diagnosed with VWD. Her daughter Bekah was 14.
I’ve taught the kids how to make VWD part of their life but not their life.” —Kim, HUMATE-P user
Diagnostic considerations for VWD
Proper testing and early diagnosis of VWD can optimize treatment and help patients live a more normal, active life. Everyone who has a bleeding disorder should have an individualized assessment based on their specific history, signs, and symptoms. Identifying VWD type and subtype requires multiple laboratory tests as well.5
The patient’s personal bleeding history can be translated into a bleeding score
Laboratory tests along with bleeding score help diagnose von Willebrand disease
In many cases, people who have milder forms of VWD do not have a family history of an established bleeding disorder5
VWD diagnosis begins with an accurate assessment
VWF levels refer to VWF antigen (VWF:Ag) and/or plate-dependent VWF activity.
VWF level 30 to 50 refers to VWF levels of 0.30 to 0.50 IU/mL; the lower limit of the normal range as determined by the local laboratory should be used if it is <0.50 IU /mL.
BS = bleeding score
CB/Ag = ratio of collagen binding to antigen
CBC = complete blood cell count
DDAVP = desmopressin
FVIII = factor VIII
FVIII:C = factor VIII coagulant activity
PT = prothrombin time
PTT = partial thromboplastin time
TT = thrombin time
VWF:Ag = VWF antigen
VWF:FVIIIB = VWF factor 8 binding
VWF:CB/Ag = ratio of VWF collagen binding to antigen
Adapted from James PD et al. ASH 15th NHF WFH 2021 guidelines on the diagnosis of von Willebrand disease. Blood Adv 2021.
- What is von Willebrand Disease? CDC website. https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/vwd/facts.html. Updated April 1, 2021. Accessed September 21, 2022.
- National Hemophilia Foundation. Nurse’s Guide. https://www.hemophilia.org/healthcare-professionals/allied-healthcare/nursing/nurses-guide-to-bleeding-disorders. Accessed September 27, 2021.
- National Hemophilia Foundation. Von Willebrand disease. https://www.hemophilia.org/Bleeding-Disorders/Types-of-Bleeding-Disorders/Von-Willebrand-Disease. Accessed September 27, 2021.
- Data and Statistics on von Willebrand Disease. CDC website. https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/vwd/data.html. Updated October 28, 2019. Accessed on April 8, 2020.
- National Hemophilia Foundation. Nurse’s Guide. https://www.hemophilia.org/healthcare-professionals/allied-healthcare/nursing/nurses-guide-to-bleeding-disorders. Accessed October 27, 2022.